Thursday, August 18, 2016

Seidel postcard from Rio: Don't flush toilet paper? Well, then what?


Seidel postcard from Rio: Don't flush toilet paper? Well, then what?


RIO DE JANEIRO -- Being a red-blooded American, spoiled in countless ways, I have come to expect certain things in life. Like being able to throw my toilet paper in the toilet.

But alas, here in Rio, it is not allowed in the media village where I’m staying.

At first, I didn’t pay attention to the note: Please do not throw paper in the toilet.

I thought, well, that makes sense. Don’t throw newspaper in the toilet. Don’t throw notepad paper in the toilet. Don’t throw paper towels in the toilet.

Obviously, these Brazilians leave nothing to chance.

Then I tried to flush the toilet. And it took four flushes. Try as it might, my toilet just couldn’t handle the toilet paper.

I read the note again and found that it actually says: “Please do not throw toilet paper in the toilet.”

Then I saw the same note at the rowing venue, as well as at the media center. Maybe  they are being serious. Maybe they never drown their Charmin like I do -- I bid you adieu, my friend; you have served me well; I will always remember you for your noble service!

This presents all kinds of problems. If you don’t put the toilet paper in the toilet, where do you put it? I don’t want to get too specific, but that gets into some icky stuff.

There is a waste basket in my bathroom with a top that snaps shut, but that just goes against everything I believe in. I don’t want to get all preachy, but I firmly believe that toilet paper should be flushed.

But I’m a guest in their country, so I’ll play by their rules. No more flushing for me.

But there is one thing I’m thankful for. Joe Rexrode, my roommate, and I have separate bathrooms. Which means separate waste baskets.

Thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment